About

Supporting Learning, Building Community, Enriching Lives

The library offers free public access to information, cultural and recreational resources through books, magazines, books on tape and cd, music, videos and DVDs, and more. Public access computers with filtered access to the internet are available at all library locations. Help finding what you need is always available. Community members are welcome to join together at the library for special programs and in public meeting rooms. It is the mission of Wicomico Public Library to serve the people of Wicomico County by supporting education, enriching lives, and building community.

Library History:

Wicomico Public Library began as a subscription library in 1869, only two years after the formation of the county itself. By 1878 the library had increased its membership from 30 to 100 members. In the early 1900s interest waned and the library closed. It was successfully re-launched in 1916 and by 1923 was operating on a subscription of $1.00 a year.

By 1925, the library was recognized as a needed community service and the idea of free library service in Wicomico County was born. The doors opened on February 2, 1926 as the Salisbury-Wicomico Free Public Library; open two afternoons and one evening a week. This became officially known as the Wicomico County Free Library with the approval of the certificate of corporation on June 24, 1927. The need for more space moved the library to High Street, in its own building in 1934. In 1948 the first bookmobile was purchased and began service.

As services, patrons and materials increased, the library once again moved - to its present location on Division St. in 1963. In 1978 a major renovation started, which was completed in 1980. The building has essentially remained the same ever since.

The library system has since expanded to four locations, is open seven days per week, and has 69 public access computers. The bookmobile operates four days per week with multiple stops around the county.