Wicomico Public Library began as a subscription library in 1869, only two years after the formation of the county itself. By 1878 the library had increased its membership from 30 to 100 members. In the early 1900s interest waned and the library closed. It was successfully re-launched in 1916 and by 1923 was operating on a subscription of $1.00 a year.
By 1925, the library was recognized as a needed community service and the idea of free library service in Wicomico County was born. The doors opened on February 2, 1926 as the Salisbury-Wicomico Free Public Library; open two afternoons and one evening a week. This became officially known as the Wicomico County Free Library with the approval of the certificate of corporation on June 24, 1927. The need for more space moved the library to High Street, in its own building in 1934. In 1948 the first bookmobile was purchased and began service.
As services, patrons and materials increased, the library once again moved in 1963 to its present location on Division St. In 1978 a major renovation started, which was completed in 1980. Today S. Division St. continues to be the main location for the Wicomico Public Library. Renamed the Paul S. Sarbanes Branch, over 111,000 items were borrowed from this site between July 2021 and June of 2022.
In the early 2000s the library system expanded to four locations, adding the Centre Branch in the Centre at Salisbury Mall and then the Pittsville Branch to serve the eastern part of the county. 2022 saw the introduction of library lockers, located in Salisbury, Fruitland, and Sharptown. The Bookmobile, now part of the Mobile Service Branch, introduced the Mobile Learning Lab and now serves locations around the county.
Wicomico Public Library is open seven days per week, serving Wicomico County with 54 public access computers and a collection of more than 176,500 items available to borrow.